New products providing guidance on urban tree monitoring
The USDA (US Department of Agriculture) has announced the release of new products providing guidance on urban tree monitoring. These guides are designed around the collection of longitudinal field data – tracking the fate of individual trees – and will enable urban tree professionals to assess mortality and survival rates, tree growth rates, vigor changes, and population size changes:
These two documents grew from the input of many arborists and researchers affiliated with the Urban Tree Growth & Longevity Working Group of the International Society of Arboriculture.
There are also five training videos available that provide broad overviews of best practices for monitoring:
- Part 1: Getting Started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwZDsyhhvA
- Part 2: Mortality Status https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0bLNMtC6K0
- Part 3: Trunk Diameter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-i24O3u-nk
- Part 4: Location Methods https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz0sCIPP8IU
- Part 5: Managing Field Work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjRyMxA_nXo
- Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNsZX2SBTlVne-C52PUv-eewpu4vWXCAN
These products represent a collaboration between the USDA Forest Service and many university contributors.